Background

Tuesday, 3 September 2013

Getting Started with Shimelle's Learn Something New Every Day

It's September and time for the kids to go back to school.  For me, September means another round of Shimelle's Learn Something New Every Day class.  For me, it is a fun scrapbooking activity, but more importantly it is a means to take the time to be more reflective.  During the month of September, I take a few minutes at the end of the day to determine what I learnt that day.  No pressure for big discoveries, it can be the smallest thing that sometimes goes unnoticed.  And not to worry; if you can't come up with a lesson, Shimelle is providing prompts called "Something To Ponder Today."

So the first thing I did was gather my supplies.  I find if I limit my self to supplies I choose at the beginning, it takes less time to create.  There are some extra alphas, for some reason I could not make a final decision, so I pulled my favourites and I will decide as I go.

As you can see I pulled quite a bit, but I really did try to limit my self (I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere...).  I'm using the pockets and my base is the Becky Higgins Project Life Dear Lizzy Edition that was exclusive to Michael's craft store in Canada.  I have Dear Lizzy stickers and buttons, just released Studio Calico chalk board stickers, Amy Tangerine Life letter stickers, Snap by Simple Stories letter stickers, Heidi Swapp letters, Fancy Pants cork shapes and Sassafrass stickers.


 I then had to add some limited edition Elle's Studio and exclusive wood veneer from Two Peas in a Bucket.


I promise I'm almost done!  I then decided to add some items that came in the latest Woolf kit from Studio Calico  - the cut outs from Hello Forever and the My Minds Eye Cut & Paste tiny word stickers.  The enamel dots from Freckled Fawn are quite new and the pink twine, Studio Calico cork arrows and label stickers are a bit older.  All of this seems to be coordinating quite nicely with the Dear Lizzy Project Life Kit - it's getting hard to stop!


I finally sit down to assemble my title page.  Just like Shimelle, I plan to store these pages within my regular 2013 album, so there will be a title page and an ending page.  This took me about 30 minutes and that included my Glossy Accents adhesive disaster.  Lesson today - don't use a paper piercer to unclog the tip.  It's too big and it tears the tip almost in half.  I've seen others use a needle - this is definitely the recommended tool to use.  Oops...  Anyhow, here's what I ended up with:


One little trick I learnt from Mercy Tiara is to use wax paper to place stickers (especially alphas) when you're afraid to commit or unsure of placement.  This was super handy when I did the title card with the different stickers.  You can see how the stickers changed from when I took the picture to my final layout. So easy to change your mind with the wax paper! 


I've been taking a bit of time to record my lessons in a notebook so that when I sit down to scrap I will not have to rely on my memory.  I am also noting the photo I took because every little bit helps and it will save time down the road.  Now I need to go and scrap some photos :-)



Thank you for dropping by and have a wonderful day!

Davida


8 comments:

  1. Love the supplies you have chosen! Can't wait to share this journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are all set for the month!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! I think so ;-) Thanks for visiting my new blog!!

      Delete
  3. So I'm learning something new today...waxed paper!? I always use a clear ruler, but this is so much better! Thanks for sharing...I'm on board with Shimelle too! love her and the PL format for this is my favourite...just need to think of how I'll album it...might put it in my 'all about me' album?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do the ruler thing too, but am loving the wax paper :-) Love the idea of putting LSNED in an All About Me album.

      Delete
  4. I'm catching up! I had to skip LSNE this year but am loving checking out yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to try to fit it in again next year...love that it's free for alumni!

      Delete